Advisory Opinion

Not all J-1 visas are required to fulfill a home residency requirement. If you are unsure, contact us. If we cannot determine whether you are subject, we will recommend that you obtain and advisory opinion from the Waiver Review Division. This division of the US Department of State will review your case and determine whether or not you are subject to the residency requirement. To obtain an advisory opinion, you should mail legible copies of all your DSP/IAP-66 forms along with the written request for an advisory opinion. You should send your request to the following address:

U.S. Department of State
CA/VO/L/W, Visa Services
2401 E Street, NW, (SA-1)
Washington , DC 20522-0106

The request for an advisory opinion should be made by letter and must provide legible copies of all of the exchange visitor's DSP/IAP-66 forms for the entire time you were in J status. You should provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope for where you would like the advisory opinion sent.

Contact our office today if we can assist you in any way.